[ih] Fwd: Bob Braden has passed away
Vint Cerf
2018-04-18 20:38:23 UTC
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Terry Benzel <***@isi.edu>
Date: Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM
Subject: Bob Braden
To: Vint Cerf <***@google.com>
Cc: Terry Benzel <***@isi.edu>

I am writing to let you know the sad news that Bob Braden died . As you
know he was in failing health. He got very sick with pneumonia and died
quickly.

At the moment I do not know anything about memorial service. I am in touch
with his wife Jean and son David.

Terry Benzel
Director Networking and Cybersecurity Division
Information Sciences Institute
University of Southern California

This is truly terrible news. With Bob Braden's passing, the three giants of
the RFCs have left our midst: Jon Postel, then Joyce Reynolds and now Bob
Braden.

Bob was a legendary contributor to the early ARPANET Host-Host protocols
for the IBM 360 machines and to TCP/IP early in its development. Bob and
Joyce became indistinguishable stewards of the RFCs with Jon Postel
passing. I always found Bob's thoughtful opinions clarifying and
constructive. His Host Requirements series was a seminal contribution in my
opinion
(see RFC 1122 et seq).

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Braden

I will miss his self-deprecating and wry sense of humor and his occasional
outbursts of disdain for rank stupidity. Really, there was something
ultimately satisfying hearing Bob take apart some piece of particular
ineptness in our technical community. Ever willing to work on behalf of the
Internet community in which he was such a long time dweller, Bob earned my
highest esteem and appreciation. I will miss him greatly but his work is a
true monument to dedication and will long be remembered and admired.

vint cerf
--
New postal address:
Google
Reston, VA 20190
Bob Hinden
2018-04-18 21:00:16 UTC
Vint,

Terrible sad news. I had no idea he wasn’t well. I will miss him.

Bob
Brian E Carpenter
2018-04-18 21:08:26 UTC
Very sad. He was indeed a man of wise counsel.

Regards
Brian Carpenter
[...]
internet-history mailing list
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-history
Stephen Casner
2018-04-18 21:49:29 UTC
When I remotely watched Bob's retirement celebration at ISI, I
observed that he looked much older than I remembered. I did not
realize that his health had declined. The old guard is slipping
away. This is indeed sad.

-- Steve
Reston, VA 20190
Patrik Fältström
2018-04-19 03:52:32 UTC
Oh!

As Stephen wrote: "The old guard is slipping away".

The ISOC text about him and Joyce receiving the Jon Postel award comes into mind:

<https://www.internetsociety.org/news/press-releases/2006/bob-braden-joyce-k-reynolds-receive-postel-award/>

Patrik
Wayne Hathaway
2018-04-19 15:25:07 UTC
Having only been involved with ARPANET for a decade or so and mostly confined to the IBM world,
my interactions with most on this list were few. But Bob was one major exception, and I daresay
without his advice, counseling, and friendship, I doubt I would have done anything at all. I know we
are all heading to the same ending, but somehow it's still a shock when it happens to someone so
important to you. Bob, you are missed, but we are all richer because you shared what time you had
with us. Thank you so much.

Wayne Hathaway
then ***@ames-67
now ***@playaholic.com
Paul Vixie
2018-04-19 17:16:12 UTC
i feel sure that bob did not intentionally live as an example to others,
but he did anyway, for me.
Vint Cerf

Reston, VA 20190
Scott Brim
2018-04-19 10:34:12 UTC
I've been thinking about him since I heard yesterday. I hadn't seen him in
about ten years and I would have loved to hear (again) what he thought of
the state of the Internet. Thinking of Bob reminds me how much things have
changed since Host Requirements.

Scott
Jorge Amodio
2018-04-19 17:21:58 UTC
I posted it on a FB comment, I believe we should nominate Bob as a
posthumous Inductee to the ISOC Internet Hall of Fame.

My .02

Regards
Jorge